Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Renovation Grants
For More Information
Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. would like to encourage all Uptown property owners to participate in this program. For further information on eligibility and guidelines or to obtain applications, please call Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. at 704-695-1644. Or you may download the information sheet and application form below.
The appearance and condition of the architecture in the Uptown Wadesboro business district is important to the entire town - to the town's history, image and economy. Because the appearance and condition also forms the basis of the public's overall impression of the Uptown business district, the upgrading and preservation of the buildings in Uptown Wadesboro are crucial to the continued livelihood of the entire community.
The Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Facade Grant Program provides incentive grants to business property owners and tenants located in Uptown Wadesboro to help with the costs of making exterior improvements to their properties. The goal is to improve the appearance of the Uptown area through a series of exterior rehabilitation projects that are sympathetic to the historic character of the Uptown Wadesboro area.
Purpose of the Facade Grant Program
• to promote storefront renovation and restoration of commercial buildings in Uptown Wadesboro.
• to encourage good design projects and workmanship.
• to preserve Uptown Wadesboro's unique historic character.
• to attract new businesses to Uptown Wadesboro.
History of the Facade Grant Program in Wadesboro
The first UWI Facade Grant was awarded in 1997 and since its inception, 31 grants have been awarded to Uptown Wadesboro businesses. To date, $25,788.82 has been awarded.
Source of Funds for the UWI Facade Grant Program
The funds used to award the Facade Grants come entirely from grants from private trusts and foundations and from fundraising activities of Uptown Wadesboro Inc.
Recent Facade Grants Awarded
For the fiscal year July 2005 through July 2006, a total of $5,661.63 was awarded to Uptown Wadesboro business property owners or tenants for renovations at the following properties. The total investment made by these business property owners or tenants was $49,738.93.
Scarborough Building, E. Wade Street
Matthews Building, E. Wade Street
HW Little & Co., N. Greene Street
Parsons Drug, E. Wade Street
Parsons Drug, N. Greene Street
State Farm Insurance Building, E. Morgan Street
Interior Renovation Grants
QUESTIONS? If you have any questions concerning your design or require assistance in designing your renovation plan or need further information, please contact Uptown Wadesboro at 704-695-1644. The completed application should be sent or delivered to Uptown Wadesboro, Inc., 107A East Wade Street, Wadesboro, NC 28170. You may also download the Interior Renovation Grant form below.
The Interior Renovation Grant is a program introduced in September 2008 by UWI to provide grant funding (maximum of $500) for improvements to the interior of business properties in Uptown Wadesboro. This grant is available to eligible business owners (whether property owners or tenants) in the Uptown Wadesboro business district, whether the business is retail, professional or service. The grant is available for interior improvements that meet all guidelines and is described in more detail below.
The purpose of this grant is to encourage improvement of the appearance and quality of the Uptown area. Projects making the most visible contribution to the Uptown district will receive top priority as long as all guidelines are met. Applications are available at the UWI offices at the Chamber of Commerce at 107 E. Wade Street, Wadesboro, NC. The number of grants funded per year is dependent upon the availability of funds. The maximum grant will be $500 if your project is eligible, meets all guidelines and is approved by the UWI Board of Directors. Applications must be approved before work is started for a project to be eligible.
PURPOSE OF THE INTERIOR RENOVATION GRANT PROGRAM: The purpose of the Interior Renovation Grant program, offered by Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. (“UWI”), is to encourage property owners and/or lease holders in the central business district to improve the appearance of their property and therefore the quality of the uptown area. Projects which will make the most visible contribution to the uptown district will receive top priority as long as all guidelines are met.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants for Interior Renovation Grants should not begin work on their project before the grant application is reviewed and approved by Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Board of Directors.
1. Pickup the Interior Renovation Grant Program and Application form at the UWI (or Chamber of Commerce) offices which will provide an application form if proposed site is within Uptown Wadesboro boundaries.
2. Owner/tenant completes the application, including a description of the project, cost estimates and photograph(s) of the work area, and owner's permission, if necessary, and returns it to the UWI office.
3. The Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Appearance Committee reviews the application and makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors for final approval or denial. The applicant will be notified of the Board’s decision. If the application is rejected, it may be resubmitted by the owner/tenant with modifications. Any member of Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. or the Appearance Committee will recuse himself/herself from the discussion and selection process if necessary to alleviate any conflict of interest or favoritism.
4. Upon project completion, copies of the paid receipts for the completed approved improvements must be submitted to Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. in order to receive funding of the grant.
5. The Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Appearance Committee will inspect the work when UWI has been notified that work is complete. If all criteria have been met and the work done follows the project plan, the Appearance Committee will, at the next regular UWI board meeting, recommend funding of the grant.
The creation of an economic incentive program which will result in:
1. Enhancement of interior spaces within business buildings in the central business district of Wadesboro.
2. Encouragement of good design utilizing the existing structure and property to achieve a more pleasing appearance for the shopper, merchant and/or investor.
3. Preservation of historical characteristics.
4. Proper direction to a more aesthetic appearance (including color schemes, etc.).
1. Any non-governmental owner or tenant of a building, structure or site located within the boundaries of Uptown Wadesboro as shown in the Uptown Wadesboro boundary map available at the UWI office. (Governmental units are defined as entities that have the power to levy taxes including federal, state or local governments.) Eligibility of entities receiving tax dollars as grants (or as partial but not total funding) shall be considered on a case by case basis by the UWI Board of Directors.
2. Either owners or tenants may request Interior Renovation Grants; however, all tenants must have the owner's signature on the application.
3. A project is ineligible for funding if work has started before the application can be reviewed.
4. Any business, whether retail, service or professional, in the Uptown Wadesboro geographic area is eligible to apply for an Interior Renovation Grant. However, only one grant per business per year will be allowed.
CRITERIA: Grants are issued for 100% of the actual project cost with a maximum $500.00 per project as determined by the UWI Board of Directors.
SOURCE OF FUNDS: The Interior Renovation Grant program is made possible through private donations and specified fund-raising events. The funds will be determined on an annual basis. Funding of any Interior Renovation Grant is contingent upon availability of funds.
1. Interior Renovation Grants may only be used to finance interior improvements.
2. Interior renovation projects will be eligible for grant assistance, subject to review by the Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Appearance Committee, with final approval by the UWI Board of Directors; however, top priority will be given to interior renovations that will most enhance the appearance of businesses within the Uptown Wadesboro boundary.
3. All interior renovation projects must meet all applicable local, state, and federal codes, ordinances, standards, and guidelines.
4. The Uptown Wadesboro, Inc. Appearance Committee will make recommendations to the applicant that must be adhered to in order to receive grant funding. Any revisions must be reviewed in order to be eligible. Applicants are encouraged to attend the recommendation meeting.
5. Photographs of the proposed work area should be submitted with the application.
SUGGESTED INTERIOR IMPROVEMENTS include (but are not limited to): Interior signage; light fixtures; painting; flooring; replacement of or addition of trim or molding (window, door, baseboard); repair/replace ceiling; window treatments; attached furnishings or fixtures.
TIME LIMITATIONS: The project must be completed within six (6) months after the applicant has been notified of grant approval; however, the applicant may be granted an extension through written request to the UWI Board of Directors.